The cookies I made last week were such a hit that last night I recreated them using only what I had in the cupboards. I love that you don’t need chocolate chips to have an incredible cookie.
Best part is, they took less than thirty minutes to make, or the time it took the boyfriend to go to town and rent Django Unchained (granted, it's a smaller batch!) You’ll never have to buy cookies again!
This recipe requires a measuring cup, if you don't own one don't try to use average cups- chaos will ensue! You can buy really cheap ones here or use this handy cups to grams converter.
Cream the sugars and butter until they look fluffy, as shown above.
This is the consistency of your finished dough... Which also tastes incredible raw,FYI.
Cookie baking can be a messy business... One of those things you wish you had three hands for! :)
You can probably tell from this picture just how much these beauties spread while baking.
You can see that straight from the oven this cookie is golden on the outside and spongey in the centre! I love the marbled effect from some Nutella-strewn dough! :)
Yield: 5 huge cookies (just double up to make a larger batch, but don’t underestimate how big these guys are!)
You will need:
3/4 Cup Self-Raising Flour, sieved
1/4 Cup Butter at Room Temp.
1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Medium Egg
1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
5 Dessert Spoons Nutella
- Preheat your oven to 170degrees Celcius.
- Line a baking tray with baking parchment.
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream together the sugars and butter until fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract while beating.
- Once incorporated, turn off mixer.
- Sift in 1/4 cup of flour. Beat until incorporated.
- Repeat step four twice more so that all of the flour is added.
- Here comes the messy part! Scoop out some dough onto the palm of your hand.
- Place a tablespoon of Nutella on top of the dough.
- Place another spoon of dough on top of this. Ensure that all of the Nutella is sealed by the dough, place on prepared baking tray. *Act quickly as the dough will melt from the heat of your hand. Scrape off excess dough/Nutella from your hand back into the mix, you'll need all the dough you have!*
- Sprinkle some sea salt on the cookies before baking, this really adds depth to the flavour.
- Bake for 14minutes, until slightly golden at the edges but still spongey/soft in the middle. These cookies continue to cook once you remove them from the oven so DO NOT OVERBAKE. Removing them any later than 16minutes will result in rock hard, inedible cookies trust me!
- Leave to cool on the baking tray for 5-10minutes.
- Remove onto a wire rack.
Although this is a small batch it's easy to double up but I liked having all the cookies gone in one night-less temptation the following morning!
These cookies got a great response on Facebook, a few people have already recreated the recipe- let me know what you think in the comments section below!
Don't forget to tune into sUCCulent 98.3fm on Thursday 11-noon!
Stay sweet! x