Spider, witch's hat, mummy, ghost, bat, tombstone, broom, skull, pumpkin, Frankenstein's monster, bloody fangs and a bone... All in a day's work!
I made simple sponge cupcakes but before baking dribbled some strawberry jam on top and quickly buried the jam under batter so it would bake nicely.
The toppers are all handmade out of fondant, I didn't follow any designs or stencils I just fiddled around with sugarpaste until I got a shape I liked. I was too lazy to whip up buttercream so I used a glass tumbler to cut out circles of sugarpaste and used these as a base on the cupcakes. FYI, all the materials I used were featured here as well as an oh-so-fancy cocktail stick, and I painted yellow fondant with red food colouring to get a pumpkin orange colour! I also used an edible black felt tip pen which I found in Brussels for writing/pupils.
Ingredients for a dozen cupcakes:
6oz self-raising flour
4oz caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 jar of jam (strawberry or raspberry)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celcius, and line a cupcake tray.
- Beat margarine and sugar together on a medium speed until combined.
- Add eggs one at a time and mix until combined.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Sieve in flour and beat until combined.
- Divide batter between cases.
- Add a teaspoon of jam to each case (trail along), cover this over with batter.
- Bake for 20mins or until springy to touch.
- Allow cupcakes to cool before applying a thin layer of jam on top. Place fondant circle atop.
- Brush fondant with clear alcohol to give shine and allow toppers to stick.
If you're looking for more spooky treats check out last year's post which features a podcast with great ideas from other bloggers!
Looking for costume inspiration? Last year I wrote this article for the UCC Express but I also love Urban Outfitters range! Whatever you get up to, have a great night!
Happy Halloween, and stay spooky! x