They're not Terry's, they're mine!Every Christmas, we find a Terry's Chocolate Orange in the end of our Christmas Stockings. Selection boxes and other goodies might not make an appearance, but a Chocolate Orange is guaranteed! Whenever I taste orange flavoured chocolate I think of Christmas.
The recipe is an amalgamation of two recipes from Cupcakes from the Primrose Bakery book. Although the book has a recipe for chocolate orange cupcakes, I thought that a chocolate sponge mixture would be far too heavy, and I wouldn't recommend it. These cupcakes are rich enough without adding cocoa into the sponge. Instead, I mixed some chocolate chips into the orange zest and orange juice infused sponge, which was delicious!
I slathered on icing and immediately added a Chocolate Orange segment on top.The chocolate buttercream is incredible! One of the most chocolatey icings I have ever tasted. It was so thick and creamy and easy to pour over the cupcakes, like you would a ganache. As in almost all cases, the recipe makes a lot of buttercream, so you can half the quantities... Or whip up another batch of cupcakes! ;)
These treats were easy to make- albeit with some preparation (zesting the orange, dividing the segments), but were so impressive! If you're a fan of Terry's Chocolate Orange, you will not be disappointed!
Orange Chocolate Chip Cupcakes [adapted from Cupcakes From the Primrose Bakery]
You will need:
110g butter, at room temp
225g caster sugar
2 large eggs
175g self-raising flour, sifted
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
Zest of 1 orange
100g chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 160degrees Celcius, and line two muffin trays with cupcake liners.
- Beat the butter and sugar until smooth.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition/
- Add the flour and milk alternately, beginning and ending with the flour, beat well after each addition.
- Beat in the orange juice and orange zest.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Transfer batter into cupcake cases.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before icing.
Chocolate Buttercream Icing [produces a large yield]
You will need:
175g 70% cocoa solids dark chocolate
225g butter, at room temp
1 tblspn milk
1 tspn vanilla extract
250g icing sugar, sifted
- Melt chocolate until smooth (microwave or hob). Leave to cool slightly.
- Beat the butter, milk, vanilla and icing sugar until smooth.
- Add the melted chocolate and beat until thick and creamy.
- Spread/pour depending on the consistency you prefer, over the cupcakes and finish with a segment of Terry's Chocolate Orange.
Enjoy these decadent treats! The perfect gift for Chocolate- Orange lovers on Valentine's Day!
Stay sweet! x