Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Banana and Cherry Muffins


I wanted something a little more fruity last weekend so I whipped up these little beauties! They were scrumptious! Succulent even! ;)




I used the recipe from the original banana muffins (albeit with a few shortcuts), but concocted my own crumb topping. I'll definitely be using this topping from now on, it was delicious!

Some Notes:
  • I was lazy and ommitted any other raising agent bar the flour. The original recipe called for both baking powder, and baking soda. But this was after a long day of baking, I had bananas to use up, and I was ravenously hungry so I forewent this step. On the brightside, my version is bite-sized, and this leads to no leftovers. :) I didn't think it affected the taste at all, and the not-so-massive muffins were still quite light.
  • If you don't have overly ripe bananas (read Brown/Black!), the muffins won't taste as nice. Instead of letting them go another few days and run the risk of not having the time to bake these treats then, pop the bananas on a waxed baking sheet, and roast in the oven for 15-20 mins at about 180degrees Celcius.
  • Make the topping first, this way you won't be so panicked trying to get the muffins into the oven. Preparing your work bench before starting to bake-no matter how excited you are, will most definitely lead to a much happier baking experience, trust me I've made the mistake too many times!

Muffin Ingredients:
1 and a half Cups self-raising flour
3ripe bananas
3/4 cup white sugar
1 lightly beaten egg
1/3 cup melted butter
3/4 cup glacĂ© cherries, chopped
  1. Preheat oven to 190degrees Celcius
  2. Sieve flour into large bowl
  3. In another bowl beat together rest of ingredients
  4. Add this mixture gradually to flour while beating.
  5. When just about combined, add chopped cherries and beat gently.
  6. Spoon into cupcake cases.
  7. Top with premade topping.
  8. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until an inserted knife/toothpick comes out clean.

Topping:
2parts light brown sugar
2parts packed dark brown sugar
2parts flour
1part cinnamon 
1part butter
  1. Mix the dry ingredients together with your fingers in a small bowl. 
  2. Add the softened butter and pinch between your fingers to make very dainty crumbs, finer than breadcrumbs.

Et, voila!

These muffins packed a fruity punch and would be a lovely mid-week healthy treat.





Talk to you tomorrow on sUCCulent 98.3 at 11-12!

Stay sweet! x

No comments:

Post a Comment