Friday, July 5, 2013

White Chocolate Snickerdoodle Cookies


Averie Cooks has fast become one of my favourite blogs. Her writing style and photography is second to none, but her sense of humour and amazing recipes keeps me coming back every single day!

I tried her Snickerdoodles (intrigued by the name and both major ingredients...) 

What makes a Snickerdoodle I hear you ask? The cookie is rolled in cinnamon sugar before baking... nom nom nom! This was my first time ever tasting a snickerdoodle, and although the consistency and texture of the cookie was delicious (Averie puts this down to brown sugar!) they were very very sweet- I could eat no more than two! Beware, this is not one for the faint-hearted!

Anyways, I substituted large Milky Bar Giant Buttons (labelled for protection against thieves!) broken up for white chocolate chips which I couldn't find anywhere, and they worked great!





A top tip from Averie is to chill cookie dough before shaping, which works wonderfully for cookies that hold their shape in the oven! I think it would be great for Nutella Pillow Cookies!

Also, some of my cookies burned while the others stayed perfectly not-so golden. My oven is a super duper fancy Neff contraption so I don't think it's to blame and I was really vigilant with watching the cookies after this disaster so the jury's out.


Let me know what you think of them in the comments section below, or on the Facebook page!

Yield: 14 medium sized cookies
You will need:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 large egg (or 2 medium/small)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 cups cream flour
1/2 cup white chocolate chips or broken MilkyBar Giant Buttons

For sugar topping:
1tbsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup white sugar
  1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celcius.
  2. Line two baking trays with baking parchment.
  3. Cream together butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
  4. Add the vanilla extract and egg and beat until just combined- do not overbeat!
  5. Stir in the dry ingredients until just combined.
  6. Stir in the chocolate chips.
  7. Chill in the freezer for 10 mins (covered with cling film) or in the fridge for an hour plus.
  8. Prepare cinnamon mixture in a cereal bowl or similar, mixing cinnamon and white sugar with a spoon.
  9. Using an ice-cream scoop, scoop the chilled dough into balls.
  10. Roll into cinnamon sugar and place on lined baking tray.
  11. Bake for 8-10 minutes until barely set (still soft in the middle).
  12. Allow to cool for another 5-10 minutes on the baking tray before devouring!
  13. Enjoy!




How do you like Snickerdoodles? Let me know below!

Stay sweet! x



2 comments:

  1. Snickerdoodle is a really fantastic word, and they look like the taste just as good as they sound! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know!! I love the name :) They're super sweet! I'll try them without the white chocolate and leave you see for yourself... In less than a month!! ;)

    ReplyDelete