Thursday, August 9, 2012

Bank Holiday Brunch


Some mornings cereal just doesn't cut it, toast is too meagre and fruit far too healthy!! Mornings like this call for pancakes!! Bank holiday weekends are the best times for this, as you can have a lie-in and then impress everyone at home, who would normally be at work, with your fantastic culinary skills! Plus they keep you feeling full all day long, so you're free to go for a walk, take a trip or simply lounge around for the day without having to worry about lunch! Pancakes are the ultimate bank holiday brunch feast!!



I like my pancakes big enough to hold a whole lotta filling, and thick enough that the filling isn't too overpowering! The fluffier the pancake, the nicer, so watch them intently while cooking! As long as they're golden, that's long enough! If making small, thick, American-style pancakes, make sure to cook until more brown to ensure that the egg is cooked. 



A good tip is to grease the pan (by melting a knob of butter) every second pancake, if cooking a few at a time. This way they are less greasy! Also, don't try to spread the butter evenly by tilting the pan- this is how the pancake sticks to the bottom :( Instead, make sure the centre is covered and the butter drizzles off randomly to the side. This way, you can use your spatula to lift up the sides of the pancake as it cooks, ensuring it doesn't stick, while the middle can be picked up when you're ready to flip!


A mess-reducing way of measuring the batter into the pan is to use a ladle! They are usually deep enough to fill a large pan and (I find) are a more accurate means of measuring than a jug.

I use Darina Allen's savoury pancake recipe (because my Mom used it every Pancake Tuesday since I can remember!!) and it never fails! The recipe says it makes 12 pancakes, but you can reduce this to six at the minimum, depending on how thick you want your pancakes to be.

6oz white flour
Pinch salt
2 large eggs and 1 egg yolk (I usually throw in three eggs)
3/4 pint of milk (I use fat free milk so the pancakes are a little lighter, and more crispy!)
3-4 dessert spoons of butter for melting

Sieve the flour and salt into a bowl, make a well in the centre and drop in the lightly beaten eggs. With a wooden spoon, starting in the centre, mix the egg and gradually bring in the flour. Add the liquid slowly and beat with a mixer until the batter is covered with bubbles.
Let the batter stand in a cold place for an hour or longer (I usually put it in the fridge while cleaning my workspace and cook the batter straight away, although if you can wait a few hours you will have better pancakes!) 
*Add the melted butter into the batter just before cooking so you can cook the pancakes without greasing the pan each time...Disclosure: I have never been brave enough/been too excited this late in the game to try this, so I usually lob a knob of butter onto the pan!

I like to enjoy these pancakes with Nutella, golden syrup, sugar, strawberries, ice cream, chocolate chips, bananas, I've even tried marshmallows! Absolutely anything I can get my hands on tastes delicious with pancakes so enjoy!!

Go on, have a flip! ;)


My gazillionth pancake (as you can see from the plate!)


No comments:

Post a Comment