Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Mac and Cheese

The first savoury post up here- there's a first time for everything! 

Like most non-Americans I was always intrigued by the concept of Mac and Cheese. Recently, Roma Pasta brought out a cut macaroni so when I saw it, I knew what had to be done! This is ridiculously indulgent, and if you love cheese as much as I do, you'll never look back!


I followed the Pioneer Woman's recipe (omitting flavoured salt and mustard), and added in strips of bacon... as well as some Parmesean on top to crisp up under the grill. Delicious! It is a lot of cheese, and I doubt I actually put in a pound- usually just as much as fits in a regular sized dessert bowl. But don't skimp on the cheese, or feel guilty, this is a one-off indulgence so enjoy it!

The recipe looks slightly complicated but once you get all of your ingredients up on your countertop, as well as the measuring cup and teaspoons it makes much more sense. If you have an extra set of hands you can have them stir everything, so you can focus on the recipe. I also use a fork instead of a whisk and it works perfectly.

To reheat, just add a drop of milk and heat as normal in the microwave or oven, stir to combine and enjoy, again!



I've made this recipe about four times since, which in the space of two months goes to show how great it is! Tune into last week's podcast to hear another great tip for thickening the sauce! ;)

As I said in the on air, definitely a comfort food favourite in my book, let me know what you think in the comments section below!

I've also made this using penne pasta and it turned out just as good, so don't fret if you can't source macaroni. 



Stay cheesey...? ;) x

No comments:

Post a Comment